Sunday, March 24, 2013

Almond Milk and Almond Flour


I rarely drink or use almond milk, but I had a friend staying at my place and she left some almond milk in my fridge.  I used some in a shake and instantly fell in love. Then, of course, I had to try making it from scratch. From there, the inspiration increased to wanting to make my own almond flour.  I couldn't be happier with the outcome and can't wait to see what mischief I can get into with these guys! 

Almond Milk 
Makes 3 cups

Ingredientsraw almonds, sea salt, water, vanilla extract, and stevia {maple syrup or honey}

First, place in a bowl:
• 1 cup almonds
• 1/4 Tbsp sea salt

Then add water until the water is above the almonds an inch or more. Stir slightly. 

{To save time I actually soaked 8 more cups of almonds w/ 2 Tbsp of salt to make my Soaked and Dehydrated Almonds}

Soak for 8 hours or more

Optional: After soaking, I took off the skins because I wanted the flour to look white and pretty. 

Strain the almonds and then place in a blender.

Add to the blender:
• 3 cups of water
• 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
a few drops of stevia {or alternative: maple syrup/honey}

Blend for 3 minutes on high. Then strain the almond milk in a strainer and/or cheesecloth {the cheesecloth will remove more of the almond pulp/meal} 

Do not throw away the almond pulp {the pasty stuff in the strainer/cheesecloth}.  You will be using this to make the almond flour.

At this point taste the almond milk and decide if you like how it tastes or if it needs more sweetener and adjust if needed. Store the almond milk in the fridge.

Try making Chocolate Almond Milk w/ just adding some cocoa powder and some more sweetener or adding a little bit of almond extract would be a great variation as well!

Now you are ready to make the almond flour... 


Almond Flour
Makes approx. 1/2 of a cup

Take the almond pulp and spread out in either a dehydrator or on a baking pan.  I used a dehydrator. Dehydrate on lowest setting overnight {twelve hours} or until completely dried out.  Then take out the dried almond pulp and place in a coffee grinder, food processor, or blender and mix on high until powdered. And there you go! Almond flour:)

If you use your oven, put on the lowest temperature and bake until dried out. Keep an eye on it, you do not want to toast or burn it! This should take around 3 hours.

This posts is a part of: